Make-believe is more than a child's game!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Surprising Research Results

According to a story I read from November 2008, research shows that behaviour has improved among young children in the classroom in the last thirty years. These results were credited to better teachers and positive reinforcement in the classroom.
Although these results sound wonderful, I have to say I was shocked. Exactly what age does "younger" children represent? Preschool? Come on. I want this to be true, but I do watch the news. How many reports in the last year alone have we seen of children with guns in school, including "younger" children.
Even without considering the recent violence we have seen in schools, how many reports have we seen that cases of ADHD are on the rise? Though that is a legitimate medical condition, it doesn't make me assume that behaviour in schools are getting better.
In my opinion, schools seem to have gotten tremendously worse since prayer was taken out of them. I want children's behaviour to have improved. I want these reports to be true, but are they?
What do you think? Are the school systems improving? I sure know one thing. When I was in school, it felt like a safe place. I pray that it still is.

No comments: