Make-believe is more than a child's game!

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas is coming!

Sunday was absolute madness at my house. My husband was sleeping because he had to work the night shift. I had told my son we would decorate for Christmas. He was so excited! Right after breakfast, he was ready to jump right into it.
I wanted to set the mood so I put on some soft Christmas music and I poured some egg nog for us to drink. We started by dragging the 1,000-pound tree up all 1,000,000 basement steps. I was out of breath by the time I reached the top. I had to make three more trips to get the boxes of ornaments and lights.
The manual labor wasn't over there. I had to rearrange the living room to find space for the Christmas Tree. At one point, I do remember wondering why I would attempt these things by myself. Oh yeah, I know why - I'm Super-Woman!
So, when we finally got to the point that we could begin the actual decorating, we pulled the tree out of the box. Having been down in the basement for a year without a cover, the dust in the air immediately sent my son to sneezing. My nose soon followed. We continued ahead as all troopers do. One branch here, the other here...A-choo! A-choo!...Put the tree in the base and put on the top...A-choo! A-choo!
Next came the lights. Can you believe out of fifteen sets of lights, only one set still burned? Uh-oh. We had to stop working, get dressed and rush to the small Family Dollar in my small town. They didn't have much to choose from. I usually do the tree in white lights and the outside in multi-color, so I got two boxes of each. I spent almost $35.00. Wow. A-choo! A-choo!
Home again, we went straight back to decorating. My son was still so excited! I checked the new lights to make sure they worked first, and yes, they did. Thank goodness. A-choo! A-choo!
Each box said they had 18 foot of lights. I LOVE lots of lights on the tree, so I knew I was going to put both sets on. To my surprise, I discovered they weren't going very far. And all be darned, they didn't wrap all the way to the bottom of the tree - 36 foot was not enough. I was shocked! Well, it turns out that garland lights, which is what I purchased, are double wrapped to look like "garland." Oops! A-choo! A-choo!
I did not want to go back to the store, so I pulled off the white lights and used the one set of multi-colored along with the new garland lights to do the tree. Very good. My son thought it looked awesome! He got busy pulling out ornaments and putting them on - his favorite part. A-choo! A-choo!
It was fun. He had such a great time, smiling, singing and cheering at our beautiful tree. A-choo! A-choo! We worked all the way up to lunch time. It was a special time for us. For the big finale, we cut all the lights and took a look. It was beautiful!
That's when I noticed some of our lights had gone out. They were brand new lights! Oh well.
A-choo! A-choo! What a great day we had! Christmas is coming, folks!
Oh, and I still have the outside lights to get to...

No comments: